Manchester City’s Champions League campaign kicks off on Tuesday, when La Liga side Sevilla welcome the Premier League champions to the Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan in Group G.
Last year, Real Madrid knocked the Cityzens out in the semi-finals, while Los Palanganas were eliminated from the group stage before attempting to win the Europa League.
Prior to the 2021-22 season, Sevilla had never failed to advance from their Champions League group.
The breakup of the Jules Kounde-Diego Carlos defensive partnership, however, has had a significant impact on the Sevilla team, and Lopetegui has guided his side to just one point from their first four La Liga games, placing them 17th in the early standings.
The brilliance of Karim Benzema, the skill of Vinicius Junior, and the super-sub impact of Rodrygo all contributed to Real Madrid’s incredible 6-5 aggregate win over City in last year’s Champions League semi-finals, but City have never been eliminated from the group stage under Guardiola.
When Man City first met Sevilla competitively in the 2015-16 group stage, they won 5-2 over two matches, and if the home side didn’t already fear an in-form Haaland, the 22-year-old scored four goals in two games.
Sevilla vs Man City form guide
Sevilla’s last 5 games – WLDLL
|Sevilla||0 – 3||Barcelona|
|Almeria||2 – 1||Sevilla|
|Sevilla||1 – 1||Valladolid|
|Osasuna||2 – 1||Sevilla|
|Sevilla||1 – 0||Cadiz|
Man City’s last 5 games – DDWWD
|Aston Villa||1 – 1||Man City|
|Man City||6 – 0||Nottm Forest|
|Man City||4 – 2||Crystal Palace|
|Barcelona||3 – 3||Man City|
|Newcastle||3 – 3||Man City|
- Out of 2 previous meetings, Sevilla FC have won 0 matches while Manchester City won 2. No matches between them have ended in a draw.
- Previous matches between Sevilla FC and Manchester City have averaged 3.5 goals while BTTS has happened 100% of the time.
- So far this season in the UEFA Champions League, Sevilla FC have averaged 2 Points Per Game at home matches and Manchester City 1.5 Points Per Game at away matches.
Sevilla vs Man City prediction
City’s Premier League title defence has already hit a few snags, but Guardiola’s team is a dangerous beast when looking to rebound from a setback, and a comfortable away win is the only outcome that we can see here, hence we go with the following pickings:
- BTTS – YES @ 2.00
- LAST TEAM TO SCORE – MAN CITY @1.32
- AWAY TEAM – TO WIN EITHER HALF – YES @1.19