Borussia Dortmund are looking to bounce back from their midweek Champions League disappointment when they welcome Schalke 04 to this season’s first Revierderby on Saturday afternoon.
The last time the two clubs met in the Bundesliga, Borussia Dortmund beat Schalke 4-0 through a brace from striker Erling Braut Haaland who scored the winner against them in their midweek champions league fixture.
Borussia Dortmund have always had the upper hand and dealt serious blows to Schalke in recent Revierderbies, but with Erling Haaland gone from the team and their current forward options not firing at full power has rendered their attack impotent and we are likely to see a match with a very low goal return.
Meanwhile, the Royal Blues are winless in their last six games in all competitions, losing three in their last four.
In their last time out, they narrowly stole a point at home against Hoffenheim last weekend, however, they remained sixth on the league table with 10 points behind fifth-placed Bayer Leverkusen.
It is worthy to note that, going into this match, Schalke have only lost one of their last five games in the league which is a great motivation for a team looking to regain their winning mojo.
Dortmund vs Schalke H2H
|Schalke||0 – 4||Borussia Dortmund|
|Borussia Dortmund||3 – 0||Schalke|
|Borussia Dortmund||4 – 0||Schalke|
|Schalke||0 – 0||Borussia Dortmund|
|Borussia Dortmund||2 – 4||Schalke|
Dortmund vs Schalke form guide
Dortmund’s last 5 games – LLWWW
|Man City||2 – 1||Borussia Dortmund|
|RB Leipzig||3 – 0||Borussia Dortmund|
|Borussia Dortmund||3 – 0||FC Copenhagen|
|Borussia Dortmund||1 – 0||TSG Hoffenheim|
|Hertha Berlin||0 – 1||Borussia Dortmund|
Schalke’s last 5 games – WDLDD
|Schalke||3 – 1||Bochum|
|VfB Stuttgart||1 – 1||Schalke|
|Schalke||1 – 6||Union Berlin|
|Wolfsburg||0 – 0||Schalke|
|Schalke||2 – 2||Borussia M’gladbach|
- In the last 31 meetings between these two sides, Dortmund have won 11 and Schalke 10. Ten remaining games ended in draws.
- Bellingham has 13 goals and 18 assists in 99 competitive appearances for Dortmund.
- Dortmund have won the last three derbies in a row. They haven’t won four on the spin since the 1960s.
- Dortmund have conceded just once in the 422 Bundesliga minutes that Hummels has been on the pitch this season, compared to six in the 188 minutes he hasn’t.
- Dortmund and Schalke have played out a Bundesliga head-to-head record 11 0-0 draws. However, not one of Dortmund’s last 99 Bundesliga matches has ended goalless.
- Sebastian Polter scored home and away against Dortmund for Bochum last season.
- Schalke are without a goal in their last three meetings with Dortmund.
Dortmund vs Schalke prediction
Here are what we think are likely to happen in this fixture:
- UNDER 3.5 GOALS @1.77
- DORTMUND TO WIN @ 1.40
- ODD/EVEN (ODD)@ 1.90